Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Immigration and other things

Immigration seems to be the big topic up for discussion lately and I am still not sure exactly where I stand on it so lets see what we know and maybe some people will post some comments on it as well, just to flesh it out a bit.

Fact: The United States was founded on the blood, sweat and tears of immigrants.

Now I don't know how many of those immigrants where legal or illegal. I do know that my ancestors who came over here looking for religious freedom and political freedom came legally.

Fact: There are an estimated 11 million undocumented illegal aliens in the United States.

Now that is just crazy. I mean you hear about illegal immigrants but you never really think about how many there are. If there are 11 million undocumented illegal immigrants then how many documented illegal immigrants are there?

I think that the main concerns that I am seeing are border security and the burden being placed on the various federal and state governments in taking care of illegal immigrants.

Personally I am on the fence as to what is the right thing to do.

ON the one hand entering the United States is a violation of the law, not criminal law but a civil offense. According to NPR.org in January of this year illegally entering into the United States was made a felony. Anyway, on to my opinion.

I understand that illegal immigrants have come to this country looking for a better life and have willingly crossed the border in whatever manner in order to attain that better life. I know for a fact that some who have been deported back to their home countries have simply waited a few weeks and then recrossed the border.

So I say lets go with the McCain bill and let them become citizens, those who are already here. Let them pay the $2000 dollar fine and go through the process of becoming citizens but at the same time we need to keep track of them and make sure they follow through with the program.

Lets also increase our border security and control the flow of those people entering the country a bit better, hell a lot better. Our first line of defense for the United States starts at the border so lets make it work.

As of right now that's my opinion in a round about way, kind of generalized because I am still reading up on it and forming and reforming my opinion.

In other news, I got my transcript fixed today so that it accurately reflects my grade point average:

3.225

I think back to the time and money I wasted back in 1994 and I am sick to my stomach. I mean I have had to retake classes and work my butt off to get my GPA up from less than a 1.00. The good news is that I only have 15 hours left to go before I get my bachelors degree and I am so ready to have it.

I have been feeling rather overwhelmed lately and I know it is because the spring semester is coming to a close but I keep telling myself that I only have a few weeks left of school and then its summer time and I can relax until September.

Well, except for that other job I am picking up which will work me an additional 30+ hours a week. TO bad the minimum wage increase in Arkansas doesn't take effect until October, I could use that extra $1.06 an hour!

~ Terhune

No comments: