Tuesday, September 13, 2005

FUBAR

Well the last week has been hectic as all get out.

I had a report due in my english History class, a test in my Spanish and I worked almost everyday that I was not in school. I am still helping a group of volunteers who are searching for missing people from Hurricane Katrina.

Most of the people we are searching for are elderly people, people from nursing homes or hospitals or hospices or shelters. So far we have found 25 missing people thorugh either searching databases or working the phones or what have you.

There have been a few sad moments as we discovered that the individual we have been looking for is deceased, but at least the family knows and they can begin the process of grief and acceptance.

On a personal note, I feel that the governments response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster has been negligent in the extreme. Every day you hear more and more reports about what they knew a head of time and questions of 'If they knew this was going to happen, why did they not....'.

It is FUBAR'd in my opinion and the only way out is to roll up our sleeves and get the job done. I think they are moving in the right direction with the nomination of R. David Paulison to accting FEMA Director:

Paulison, a career firefighter with 30 years of rescue experience, said he was busy "getting brought up to speed." Bush promised him in a Monday night phone call that he would have "the full support of the federal government," Paulison said.
Source of Quote

I know that this promotion or temporary job filling gives me some hope that Mr. Paulison knows a little bit about what he is doing since he actually has experience in Emergency Response. The next few months, and dare I say years, should be very interesting.

As always I remain...

Respectfully Yours,

~Terhune

No comments: