Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke dies at 90

Well once again this year, in less than 3 weeks I am knocked for a loop. Gary Gygax died about 2 weeks ago and tonight as I am reading the news items online I see that science fiction writer Sir Arthur C. Clarke has died.

How depressed am I?

I remember checking out Clarke's books from the library when I was a in middle school. My brother and I would pedal our bikes the 16-20 blocks to the library and spend hours browsing the shelves, reading magazines, and delving into the books that we were planning to check out while sitting in the big comfy chairs that the library had.

They were leather and squeaked a bit when you sat in them. I remember fondly my legs sticking to the chairs as my shorts didn't cover my legs to my knees and often the back of my legs got sweaty and stuck to the chair. The library is and was a magical place for me full of adventure and knowledge where anything can be learned if you look for it.

Part of my education was science fiction books by the likes of Asimov and Clarke. He will be missed. He is going on that last great adventure into the unknown, I promise to introduce my son to your writing and your great capacity for innovative thought and imagination.


Sci-fi guru Arthur C. Clarke dies at 90

No comments: