Tuesday, July 19, 2005

SSDD - Well, you know...

I still have not decided how I am going to do this, daily, weekly, every other day…not real sure; maybe I will just wing it. Isn’t it funny how life invariably tosses a curveball at you just when you think you are getting a head. It’s like being Tantalus reaching for that drink of water, or trying to nibble on that luscious fruit.

Ok, so summer session two is in full swing and already there are exciting things happening for me. First off I am taking United States History 1873-Present and Statistic, Social not Business. Both these classes are interesting in and of themselves but I find that for some strange twilight zone reason I am liking the Statistics class better than the History class – go figure.

So my History teacher has covered three chapters in two weeks – it’s at this point that I am thinking, whoa this class is toast. Sadly that is not the case I was informed today that we have to summarize the next three chapters by Thursday. No pressure there I’ll just fit it between my family hour, yard maintenance schedule, household chores and tell the grandparents to stick it, I got to write a summary. I really hope he doesn’t expect a small novel cause he is not going to get it.

The Statistics class is a challenge, this guy is really pushing to cover as much of the book as possible and I am the only one in the entire class that seems to be catching on to it and over half the class took the exact same subject last semester and failed. That tends to worry me some but so far I haven’t seen anything nor had anything presented in class that was impossible to figure out. I think people are not listening to be honest. Got a test in there on Thursday – three chapters; discussed two of them today.

Today I also found out that my advisor at the University resigned. Great! Now I have to attempt to build a new relationship with another instructor and hope that they are as cool as my last one. I was kind of hoping to get my file from him too but I missed that window of opportunity. It seems that this university has a major problem keeping up with stuff so my old advisor kept a file for each student to put stuff into. Mine didn’t have as much as some of the other History majors but still it was my stuff, now it’s locked up. I am still not sure how I feel about that.

Why is it that finances seem to always cause problems in marriages? Stress and frustration levels jumped today as we discovered that my wife isn’t getting paid for July. Wonderful! (Did you hear the sarcasm?) It seems her contract was for only eleven months and not twelve as every other school district I can think of does. Now I have to use my refund from the University to pay bills that her check usually covers – I am not happy about that but you do what you got to do. I was going to try and get ahead on daycare payments but looks like that’s not going to happen.

I think I told you, dear reader, that I liked books in my previous writing; if I didn’t you know now. As I am sure the whole world knows that latest Harry Potter book just came out. Not sure how I feel about that, but I tell you I am tired of those people who say that Harry Potter confuses children and provides an avenue for the devil to enter their lives. That’s the biggest bunch of crap.

If parents would sit down with their children before reading the books and explain to them that it is fiction, then the kids can come ask them questions as they have them and quicker than you can say “Shazam” the problem is solved.

I heard a lady on the radio today make the comment that all fiction has a kernel of truth to it, she was trying to imply that the spell casting element of the books and the other occult type things were the kernel of truth. I was amazed at that. Yeah fiction does have kernels of truth in it, like being a friend is an important thing, standing up for yourself and others is a good thing; but I guess the magic far outweighs anything else the kids may gain from the books. A love of reading is a bad thing because books facilitate the spread of ideas.

Ideas bad. Ugh, Ugh.

There is no excusing ignorance and bigotry whether you are talking about books, people or things. It’s a shame that in the first half of the Twenty-First Century we still see such things. One of my favorite quotes is by Albert Einstein:

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

You have to wonder what the world would be like if people did stand up for others and themselves, instead of letting it be someone else’s problem. I would like to see my children grow up in a world not tainted by the sins of their forefathers but then again, we all have to have a dream don’t we.

Oh well, I guess that’s it for me. I remain as always….

Respectfully yours,

~ Terhune

No comments: